HB 91 - How to Get your high school diploma from previous years

On March 30, 2015, Governor Nathan Deal signed into law HB 91. This law retroactively eliminated the Georgia High School Graduation Test as a requirement for students who were enrolled in a Georgia public school during the years from 1981 to 2011.


This law makes it possible for those students to finally obtain their high school diploma who have met all requirements EXCEPT passing one or more sections of the Georgia High School Graduation Test. This bill allows those individuals to obtain their high school diploma so they can move on to a brighter future either in a specific career that they could not obtain before or enroll in postsecondary education.


The State of Georgia required local school systems to put into place a policy and procedure for   these qualified students to petition the local school board to review their records and if they qualify under HB 91, receive their diploma.  The Baldwin County community has greatly benefited from this law.


Petitions will ONLY be accepted three times per year: October, February and June.  Individuals are able to pick up a petition at the Board Office, Baldwin County High School or print them from the district web site at any time but will not be able to submit them to Baldwin County High for review until the three selected months listed above.  If an extenuating circumstance arises where an individual needs to petition the local Board for their diploma in a month other than the three listed above, the local Board of Education will review the circumstance and make a decision to process the petition at that time or wait until the submission window.  


Any questions about HB 91 qualifications or local procedures can be answered by contacting Baldwin County High School at 478-453-6429 or Baldwin County Board of Education at 478-453-4176.